Monday, December 04, 2017

Protecting The Garden (Sort Of)

So yesterday I realized that our backyard is filled with little sticks which Poppy has been pulling down and chewing.  Which is all fine and dandy - after all, I don't miss a few oak sticks.  Then I realized that my pepper plant had also become dog fodder.  I needed a solution:



It is not a perfect solution, of course.  My option where either the flexible plastic fencing (pictured here) or the wire fencing (not pictured here), which was a great deal less flexible   I am willing to take a chance that it will be inconvenient enough not to go through.


Pictured are the garlic and leeks and spinach/lettuce, whose little lives I am trying preserve:




I am not sure how it will work this year, but maybe (when Poppy calms down a bit with age) it will work better. I can say that for the sake of convenience and ease of use, it is hands down more convenient than wire.

6 comments:

  1. That should work really well. If Poppy tries to go through this fence, you could try a bottle of that spray they make to keep dogs/cats away from things. Or a few mothballs might work. And depending how determined Poppy is, there is always a box store that has a product that should keep deer, rabbits and all sorts of critters out of your plants.

    Your garden looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I used chicken wire this past summer to protect the seedlings from the birds and it was a pain in the bleep to deal with. I love that "snow fencing", what they call it here. We have it wrapped around some trees and bushes for the winter. I was thinking of using it next summer and getting rid of the chicken wire permanently!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Linda! I had not thought about the anti-dog smell stuff, but that might be a great idea! She is certainly determined enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain, I realized that one additional benefit (should I need it) is that I can always cable tie the fencing to posts. Agreed that chicken wire - especially in small gardens - is a pain to move around.

    Best part of all? If and when we move, I can just put it in the recycle can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to say that moth balls are poisonous to cats and dogs, so I'd be careful with those. And on a funny note, our hound Jack has a bad habit of biting on his long ears. Sometimes he makes them blister...I guess it was a habit of boredom before we got him or something. The vet sold us some "bitter apple" spray - supposed to repel any animal. I remember opening it and cringing with the smell! I put it on Jack's ears and he licked it up and continued chewing on his ears lol...when they are determined, sometimes we can't do much! The fence idea is a good one though, I hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, there is no accounting for what dogs like or do not like. For example, Poppy loves spicy things so pepper sauce is not an option.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!