Monday, December 18, 2017

On Eating Better

One of the things I fully intend to work on next year is my health.  Specifically, eating.

Oh, nothing has really gone out of whack yet.  But I am definitely noticing a difference (yes kids, 50 is more than just a number).  And while my health has been stellar to this point, I would very much like to keep it that way.

Exercise plays a part, of course.  And while I have been consistently exercising, my cardio has fallen off a great deal.  That is something that needs to change.  As well, I am lifting, but have probably reached the outer limits of what I am able to do at this body mass (and I really cannot take it much higher - in fact, I could probably lose at least 15% of my weight and still be perfectly fine) - and I have little intention of damaging my joints by taking on weights that they cannot support.  Also,  I need to work desperately on flexibility. 

But what drives exercise, of course, is the fuel.

What will this look like? As usual, I am not entirely sure.  We are experimenting with a quasi-vegetarian diet (well, really after New Year's - the holiday season is a terrible time to start a new diet, just as it is a terrible time to give up desserts).  What I think the looks like is a whole lot more vegetables and vegetable protein and a whole lot less processed foods and red meat (which, to be fair, we hardly eat at all anyway). 

On top of that for me, it means reining in my Four Deadly Sins:  Alcohol, Sugar, Caffeine, and Fat.

Two of these, Alcohol and Fat, are already on their way out.  I have steadily reduced my alcohol consumption to beer and wine.  And beer is the next thing to go.  Fat has never been a great problem for me - I like cheese and butter, but that is about it.

Caffeine is the next to go.  I am working on reducing my coffee intake from three cups (one cup at home and two at work) to one at home before I go to work and supplementing with tea throughout the day.

But sugar - ah, there is the rub.  Not because it is everywhere (it really is), but because I love it so much.  This is the hardest thing to conquer - but with diabetes in my family, arguably the most important.

Do I have a goal?  Not a well defined one - nor is a weight defined one as meaningful as a health index one has.  I'll say this:  My weight out of high school was 140 lbs and I am 35 lbs about that.  Some of that is muscle, but surely not all of it.  I do not realistically think I could make it back to 140 lbs and maintain muscle mass - but something a little higher might be a worthy goal.

I am striving to be lighter, quicker, and healthier if for no other reason than I want to feel better. And sometimes that is reason enough.

4 comments:

  1. I think that should be the only reason, to feel better and for your health. I'm in good health and I know I'm a little on the chunky side in places, but I feel good so for me, everything is fine. I think that my diet is pretty balanced, though I really want to include more fruits and veggies. Problem is, whatever "they" use to preserve the veggies in the stores, kills my digestion. I discovered that besides root veggies, I can't eat any store bought veggies or fruits anymore without cooking them to death. All the veggies I grew in the garden last summer were fine and digesting very well. This is encouraging me to grow more veggies this summer and keep it up when we buy our property so that I only eat my own crops.

    Flexibility is VERY necessary at our ages, well, at any age, but I do notice the cricks and creaks when I get out of bed lately. With all the pets, I haven't found time to do my usual yoga routines and meditation either. I think that you're right about starting things during the holidays, not a good time. I'm trying to work in some stretching during the day but that yoga routine needs to come back, not just physical but for emotional health too.

    I think it's great that you're focusing on a better way of eating! Though wine and cheese will never leave my own diet!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you are drinking herbal tea then, because tea does contain caffeine.
    Wine is good for you, so don't cut it out completely.

    Good luck, God bless and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rain, I have noticed that my digestion is not what it used to be. I am a great deal more sensitive to acidic foods (tomato sauces especially) than I used to be. That, and I am really do feel more bloated more easily.

    I have not spent the time I should on flexibility. But yes, it is important. I have every reason to intend to do things that I will need to bend for for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda! I actually tend to drink green tea and some herbal teas - peppermint is a favorite of mine!

    My limit for wine is about one glass of red a day. Which is actually pretty good for you, from what I have read - or least not harmful.

    Thank you. Merry Christmas to you as well!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!