Friday, April 28, 2017

On Turning 50

So yesterday I turned 50.

Rather a significant sounding accomplishment, for something that really only constitutes simply being alive:  I have lived in two millennia, two centuries, and six decades.  Yeah, that makes me sound old.

For some reason this one has bothered me more than the others.  I am not sure why - I do not feel particularly less physically fit than usual and my health is good.  It was just a mental thing, but it was burden on my mind.

Then I realized it has nothing to do with me at all. It had more to do with my oldest daughter graduating from high school.  That single event makes me feel old - not because of anything I have done but because 18 is the great dividing a line in our society between children and adulthood.  The starting of someone's life - especially someone that you have known literally their whole life - makes the passage of time seem all the more daunting.

But my maundering about it will not change anything at all. 50 is here, whether I wish it or not.  And is some ways it is not very bad at all.

Happy birthday to me.


12 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, youngster. :) I'll be 62 next week, and have memories of stories told by my paternal grandfather who was born in 1876. Try having memories spanning two centuries - it's humbling. But just lasting half a century is an achievement, so I hope your day is special in whatever way you wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Reverend! My memories only go back through the early 1900s, with my grandmother. Maybe my children will have that experience.

      Delete
  2. Happy belated birthday TB :)) I'll be 50 next year but I don't count the years too much anymore. I feel young, most of the time! The only thing I find is that time seems to be going a little too quickly for my liking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time does speed up, does it not Rain? Thank you! As one of my friends said, 50 is the new 40.

      Delete
  3. I crossed that sandbar six years ago, TB. I had no problem with it. When one thinks about how many things need to go right just to last a minute on this Earth, staying on line for fifty years stands out as a miracle. Grey hair and wrinkles are badges of honor.

    As for the kids; all three of mine are "of age" now. It was harder for my wife than for me. Women want their babies around forever. Men want their sons to leave home; not because men don't love their sons, but because that's what's expected of grown men.

    A ship at anchor in port is safe... but that's not what ships were built for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Pete. It is an odd thing: we raise them to leave and then somehow we are surprised or regret that they do leave.

      And yes, you are right - getting old on this earth is a bit of a miracle.

      Delete
  4. A belated Happy Birthday! I have to turn 65 in a couple months.
    I do NOT like having to go on Medicare.
    Congratulations to your daughter!
    Enjoy the weekend and God bless you all! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! It is all just numbers in some sense, anyway.

      And thank you for kind words about my daughter. We are very proud.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday TB! I am 53 and happy that I am not an old fart like Pete! You should be too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glen. Let us say I looking forward to being more seasoned like Pete...

      Delete
    2. I'd say I was more "pickled" than seasoned, Glen...

      Delete
    3. Pickled works around these parts as well.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!