Sunday, January 22, 2017

The Right Thing To Do

Lost in this weekend's shuffle of inauguration and protest is the question of, going forward, what is the right thing to do.

As a nation-state, we have come to interpret the "right things" as something which benefits some portion of us, not all of us.  The closing of coal plants is celebrated as an environmental triumph; the workers put out of work and businesses that supported them are ignored or perhaps thought as acceptable casualties; health care for those that did not have it is a triumph while those whose bills climb extraordinarily are overlooked or thought not to exist. We want "free choice" in so many things, but cannot extend the concept to something as simple as raw milk.  In other words, although lots of people would pretend otherwise, we have come to view policy as a zero-sum game with winners and losers - and the winners are also sub-groups, not Americans as a whole.

Is it a wonder we are so divided?  I suspect that if you asked people as whole they would have little agreement or indeed little idea about what would be good for all Americans.

I have yet to see a sustained movement in politics that actually implements the philosophy that everyone like to espouse, that things are not a zero-sum game but rather a pie and we all succeed by making the pie bigger, not dividing the pie we have.  It strikes me as odd that so many like to proclaim this as their belief in the future of the world but few actually try to make it a political reality.
What if we spent our efforts both on protecting the environment and finding technologically better ways to use what we currently have, thus securing employment for some and supporting the businesses they support?  What if we found ways to actually cover people while not forcing others to pay or buy things they have no wish to purchase (whatever happened to the right of individual to decide to buy?)?  What if we found better ways to promote food safety and natural food and allowed those that wish to do something such as drink raw milk to do so?  What if we measured how America was doing by how Americans citizens were doing instead of how our favorite sub-group of American citizens were doing?

This has been a difficult article to write and I have had to go back and delete or rewrite portions at least three times, because of the tendency I have to want to politicize or personalize things myself instead of drawing attention to the root question.  There is plenty of that circulating around at the moment and of itself will solve nothing but only make the issues less resolvable.

Is it possible that we can strip away our differences, humble ourselves, and start asking what is as good for "the other side" as it is for ourselves?  Or are we too far gone in our thinking that while we proclaim "larger pie" we act as quickly as we can to empty out the pie-plate ourselves?

In the first version, we have a state and possibly a nation.  In the second, we have neither a nation nor state, only the long dark road to inevitable national and state suicide.



7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:37 AM

    I feel your pain. I have friends and family members on both sides, way too much anger.

    I've told my friends that the hate isn't helping me with my walk. I will no longer talk about politics.

    You're the only one asking the right questions.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, I see what you see - in fact, if you have followed social media at all this weekend, the lines are hardening, not easing. It is concerning - not just for the next four years but for the future of the country.

      I made the decision some years ago that I would never talk about politics (even though I was a political science major) because I have yet to find a place where politics builds bridges. I have yet to regret that decision.

      Thanks for stopping by and the very kind words! - TB

      Delete
  2. I did read, just not sure what I can add to this; because I don't have the answers.
    A blessed week to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know that any of us do Linda. I think where we need to start is by asking the right questions.

      Delete
    2. That makes me think of the "I, Robot" movie that Will Smith was in. Where the hologram kept telling him he either had to ask the right question or that was the right question.

      But yes. Ask the right questions.

      Delete
  3. The know-how to ask the right questions is a blocking stone. I don't know the right questions to ask. Most people don't. We surely need to start using our brains more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too Caddie. I think we are a people very easily confused. And we do not value the practice of hard thinking. We say we like it, but I often wonder if we abandon it when it goes places we do not like or were not expecting.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!