Wednesday, November 23, 2016

What Would I Like To Do Next?

So I am trying to think (slightly) ahead into the future.  About what I would like to do next.

If I stay in my career field (depending on which version of the 3, 4, or 8 year plan you are looking at) the changes I will have to relocate are pretty high.  Add to this that such a run of dates would put me at approximately 22, 24, or 28 years in the industry.  That is a long time to be doing one thing (for fun, throw in maximum age of Social Security and we are pushing 40 years).

Honestly, the thought does not excite me.  And this also presumes that I will actually be able to continue to find a job in my field, which is not a given due to age/salary issues  (experience counts for much less than it used to).  There is a fair argument to make that what I do cannot be "roboticized", but I am also wise enough to know that the future is uncertain and someone, somewhere, is probably working on this very algorithm.

So what do I want to do next?  I need to have some kind of options instead of having the choice made for me.  And fortunately at the moment, I appear to  have some level of stability and (with the tying up of some old projects) the time and energy to start investing in that decision process.

I do not have a good answer right out of the gate and I do not know that I need to, right at this moment.  What I do need to do is start addressing the fact that this future is actually coming up - and I can either be bored, be downsized, be moved - or be in control.

2 comments:

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!