Thursday, June 30, 2016

Back In The Learning Again

So today I had one of those interviews that makes one scramble after the fact, thinking to see what one can do to move forward on it to get the job.  Good things about it:  It is a promotion, it is a greater area of responsibility, and it is local (which in my line of work do not come up too often).

One thing that moments like these do is make me realize that I have fallen behind in doing the study that I need to be doing.

If you are a long time reader of this blog, you know that I love to do a lot of very different activities.  I love generalization.  I love to know a great deal about a great many things.  But this falls down when I comes to what I do for living:  I scarcely have an interest in learning more except when it relates directly to what I do.

This contradicts one of my basic premises of course, that all knowledge is useful and can be related to almost any circumstance given enough thought about the matter.  You should think that I would have more interest in the larger issues that surround my income (and trust me, there are many avenues that I could explore).  But  I do not.

Why?  I do not wonder that it is somehow connected with the sense of distaste I have come to associate with my job, or rather with people associated with my job.  I do not mind so much what I do, but I often mind who I do it with - or rather, who I do it for.

Which is a bit short-sighted if you truly consider the matter - after all, people will come and go but the career field will remain.  I could have another 20-25 years easily doing what I am doing now.  So why am I not working to maximize those opportunities.

And so I picked up the texts again tonight.  There is no time like the present to begin working on the future.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh - seems like you need positive thoughts going your way! Sending prayers, positive energy, whatever it takes. Keep us informed as to the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Songbird. Much appreciated. One way or the other, it is time to be journeying on.

      The next step will occur next Friday.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!