Wednesday, June 17, 2015

What Brings You Alive?

"Anything or anyone that does not bring you alive is too small for you." - David Whyte

What brings me alive?  This is the question that has wormed its way into my consciousness this week as I have been facing the dull roar of what my life actually is.  Suffice it to say that I hardly feel "alive" for large parts of my day; I feel much more like the living dead shuffling through yet another zombie movie looking for the living.

So fine, what I do does not bring me alive.  What does?:

- Writing
- Harp
- Making things (cheese, mead) with my hands
- Animals 
- Gardening
- Reading
- Iaijutsu
- Throwing (and its corollary, training)

This are the things that light my fires, that give my life color and meaning, that make me feel alive (instead of the living dead).  So how do I go about doing more of these?

That is the question, really.  Because being the living dead will move quickly enough to being the actual dead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!