Friday, May 29, 2015

On The Unsubcribing of Mail

As part of the exercise of being input deprived, I have finally organized m e-mail box

This has been a task which has been long been the bane of my existence.  My e-mail box had become a dumping ground of items that I needed to save and items that I intended to get to at some point in time - I was harboring over 800 unread e-mails there.  But with the deprivation of input and a growing need to make my life more streamlined finally compelled me after two years to address the issue.

I was gentle with myself, of course.  No immediate wholesale throwing away of e-mails:  first organization of those things I thought I needed (knowing I will probably still delete them as well), then the slow process of eliminating the rest, up to and including reaching the point of just deleting unread things I would never realistically get to.

As part of this process, I finally began to unsubscribe from e-mails in an attempt to cut down on the total input of my e-mails.

The process of unsubscribing, though, is not as straightforward as I has hoped.

There are a great deal of ways to unsubscribe.  For some, it is is simply clicking the "unsubscribe" link and being redirected to a page which essentially says "done".  For others, it is clicking the link to have to enter your e-mail or select a series of what you would you like to be excluded from.  And for some notable sites, it is actually having to re-enter your information to be excluded in the future.

The time frame was also a surprise to me.  For most, it was listed as immediate.  But for a few - a few who somehow bill themselves as being interested in privacy and independence - the listing was "48-72 hours".  Not at all impressive in a world of high speed technology.

What has this experience taught me?

1)  There is no reason for e-mails to build up.  If you are not going to deal with it today, delete it.
2)  There is no particularly good reason to sign up for any recurring e-mail unless it mets a need which you feel is important.  Really important.  Otherwise, see item 1).
3)  The policy on how to extract yourself from something should tell you a great deal of what they consider you and the value of your time to truly be.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent advice my man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am becoming fanatical about it John - every day, I look to see what came and then go ahead and see if I can delete more. And the wonders of clean e-mail box do not cease to amaze me.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!