Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Worst and Most Exquisite Moment

I can recognize the signs.

I am tired.  I know that.  It is a combination of the fact that I am not sleeping through the night (never seem to anymore during the week) and the fact that I am not getting enough of the sleep that I should be getting (because my list of things to do is always there and I do not want to completely give up on doing them).

And then I am uncommunicative.  A great deal at home of course, but also at work.  There should be something to say but I really seem to have nothing to say - instead, I spend time brooding over issues that seem just beyond the horizon of the people I am around.

Finally - and this is the clincher, even if it is a somewhat new discovery - I wake up in the morning with no sense of anything other than emptiness and the realization that today is just another day with a long list of things to do.  Sometimes - like today - it is verging on tears as I consider the upcoming events.

No sleep, no communication, sense of emptiness, no real move towards the future, leaky eyes  - congratulations, I am either extremely discouraged - or depressed.

Why, one might ask.  Legitimate question, I suppose.  Larger task list growing at work plus the official notification of a new reporting structure with all of the uncertainty that such things bring.  Splendidly slow traffic coming to and from work.  And the sense that after doing all I need to do, there is very little time to do that which I want to do, which sends me back to my list of goals and makes me ask "Did I over set again?"

This is  usually the worst time, the onset of despair.  It is that time where I feel that there is simply no way out, that no matter what I do or how much effort I dedicate there is no way (that I can see) that things move forward or get better.  The thing that always seems to increase the feeling is that this is a state that I face largely on my own:  I cannot ask others to bear the burdens of largely my own making and responsibility - and they have burdens of their own to bear.

This will pass, of course.  It always does.  Something small will happen or something will turn in my favor or I will even get a good night's sleep and things will be much better with the world.  And that is how it should be:  in the course of human lives the problems I face are very minor indeed and hardly those of great suffering.

But this is always the worst and most exquisite moment of pain:  to know that the thing is coming and, for a short time, to feel its on-rush with the despair of feeling it cannot be resolved.

4 comments:

  1. Ya ups ad downs seem to be the way of things. Just have to push through I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok TB - i think what you really need is an appointment with my *ss-kicking boots. now buddy - do you really need me to come down there with the *ss-kicking boots??? have a look- see at this:

    http://framboisemanor.blogspot.ca/2014/05/tractor-timewith-ss-kicking-boots.html

    now i am gonna say some things that you are not gonna like hearing. melancholy. you have a melancholy soul. and that is not a bad thing. overthink. you overthink too much. and that is not bad either. you just have to know these things about yourself. and once you are in one of those "zones", you have to have the strength to say to yourself "i am in one of those zones". and then you have to find ways to get yourself out of those zones. one way would be to meditate. that is a good way. another way would be to spend thousands of dollars for me to come down and kick your butt with the *ss-kicking boots. another way would be to sit your butt down with a cup of tea and ask your wife to talk you through it.

    it's your choice buddy. and these boots were made for flying (except that i hate flying) - but i would do it for you.

    hey - my email is kymberzmail@gmail.com and that redirects to my personal email. if you ever want to talk, and i don't hand out these invitations to anyone without my husband's approval, just send me an email. i am positive that teaching you a few pilates poses will solve all of your problems - bahahahahahah! but there have been times in my life where i have actually been able to talk some people through some stuff...then there are the times, like lots of them, where i just wore myself into the ground and the people i was trying to help just only wanted money. give me a yell if you think i can help you.

    oh and btw, and i hope that he comes back and gives you the truth, PP was a basket case when i met him. it's only through years of emails that i got PP to the point where he can interract with humans on a very narrow level. it's the truth, buddy!

    much love being sent to you, from both of us, always. we love kindred spirits. (sadly enough, we would have to admit that PP is one of them. even tho he is a wiener!)

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soo...I went and viewed said boots. Very impressive. They might actually work here in New Home (a large state in Southern US) - in fact, I am sure I have seen some quite similar.

      Hmm. Face to face always is best but we should always save our money, right? I will have to settle for virtual and a cup of tea.

      So good news: I am much better than I used to be. You are correct that I can tend to dwell on things, sometimes long past what I should. The good news (I guess) is that I know this about myself and even know what some of the trigger points are (for example, being tired is a huge one). I guess once I slip into such a mood (someone once called depression the black dog. Moddey dugh. I can live with that) I almost like to luxuriate in it. It is terrible but at least it is controllable in my mind. Stopping is hard, although I can do it - I am very miserable at meditation but I have found practicing Iaijutstu or cut drills will accomplish the same thing.

      Thank you for the contact info. I am honored.

      I will have to take your word on Preppy as I long as have read him he seems to have been the same, although I can see where a potential curmudeonly spirit might have taken root.

      Thank you for your and Jam's support. This has been a hard month in some rather esoteric ways and finding new friends has been a great help.

      Lhiats, TB

      Delete
  3. you are so very welcome! and we are always happy to find new friends, too. when you find kindred spirits it makes you feel like you are not alone. and jam and i will be here for you even tho we be thousands of miles apart. matters of the heart don't care about miles!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!