Friday, December 26, 2014

A New Writing Utensil

So yesterday for Christmas The Ravishing Mrs. TB got me a new computer.
This was unexpected.  But very welcome.

Currently the laptop I have been using was one we purchased as an original refurbished model in 2011 (I think) after my first laptop - the remaining item I owned from The Firm - died on us.  The laptop served in good stead but seems (like most older technology) to be chugging along after a while - it literally took the thing 30 minutes to start up to the point that I could make use of it.  Apparently I had been making enough complaints about the thing and apparently someone had a deal that could not be ignored - and thus, the computer under the tree appeared.

The single biggest significant difference?  My old laptop had approximately 20 GB of memory.  My new unit has 450 GB.

There are other differences as well:  no CD drive (but then again, when was the last time I loaded a CD ), no installed Office style program (apparently Microsoft wants you to buy their on-line things now; I may try that or just see if I can outright purchase what I need - after all, beyond Word and Excel, what do I truly use?) and the whole general set up  of the start and opening page (which, regrettably, is exactly what I am having to deal with at work as well.  I do not like it one bit).  It even has all four arrows in place of the three plus the missing down key I currently use.

But those are probably things that can be worked out.  The screen is huge.  The speed at which the thing starts up is amazing (to me, anyway).  The unit itself is remarkably light - no Airbook to be sure, but certainly a huge difference from my current unit.

What a pleasant and geniuine surprise - and what a joy to know that I can go into the new year armed with a new tool to write with.  I had better make sure my writing is equally up to snuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!