Monday, September 15, 2014

Thanks Bruce

So it turns out Bruce Lee was my height.

This is actually pretty significant.  No-one ever confused him with being less than a top-notch athlete, yet his stature was no more significant than mine.

He worked for it of course (as I am finding out).  Worked very hard for it.  Became a fanatic about exercise and nutrition and training.  But that still means that such a thing is achievable, if only one will spend the time and energy to do it.

I also found a quote of his, a quote which I like very much and may move to the pantheon of quotes that I try to live my life by:

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” 

I sometimes wilt in the face of my friends - not so much that they ever say anything (because of course being gallant and kind-hearted they never would) - but that simple fact is that I am far removed from their levels of athletic ability.

But Bruce gives me hope - not that I will ever reach his level or that of my friends, but simply that even for someone with my height, much more is possible than I can imagine if I will only pay the price.

There are no limits.  There are only plateaus.

Thanks Bruce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!