Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Animal Person

So I am an animal person.

I would love to have some land, something where I could have livestock (sheep - sheep have always attracted me for some reason - or maybe goats, but that would be for cheese) and poultry (chickens - I love chickens).  Alas, this is not my life at this point in my history.  So we make do.

Our current menagerie is one bird, one hamster, one dog (Syrah the Mighty), three rabbits, and two guinea pigs.  I have to admit that my routine with them in the morning has become one of the highlights of my day.

I have a circuit.  Start with the guinea pigs (they are new to us, but our previous guinea pig was the same):  carrot, check food, hay.  For these little guys I like to pick them up and hold them a minute to get them used to us.  Then on to Bella, the first rabbit, who already has her head stuck out of the cage.  Food, Cheerios, hay and the occasional carrot for her - although what she really wants is the attention, so we spend a few minutes getting pets.  Then to the hamster, who is gnawing at the bars of her cage.  She likes Cheerios one at a time:  pulling them out of my fingers, she gnaws them down delicately and stuffs them in her cheek.  Check on the bird, usually who just needs a little bird seed and water.  Bella wants another pet, so spend a few minutes petting her again.

Then to the other rabbits, Midnight and Snowball.  Snowball starts running around in his cage as soon as he sees me; he wants out.  I let him out and he immediately starts hopping around me, wanting to climb up on my leg.  Midnight is more sedate:  she wants her carrot.  I offer it to her and she immediately pulls in from my hand and starts eating.  Often I will hold it in my hand to prevent it from falling through the cage; she eats, an act of trust with my hand a few inches from her throat.  Snowball is still hopping around for attention.  I load up their food as well - food, hay, Cheerios, and another carrot for Snowball - then pick him up.  He is happy for the attention, gratefully sitting in my arms with his eyes closed.  Sometimes he will look up and me and sniff my nose, his whiskers and breath tickling my face.  Midnight will also occasionally come over as well and want pets as well so I sit crouched down and balanced, a white rabbit in my lap and a black rabbit at eye level who is grateful and licks either my hand or the edge of the cage, whatever is convenient (little known fact:  rabbits lick as a sign of affection).

The dog, of course, is always happy (black labs are).  She knows when to ignore me and when to follow me around in hopes of a small snack - and she certainly knows when it is time for a walk!

I like animals - in fact, I seem to like them a great deal more than people.  They are peaceful. They go about their lives.  They have small mannerisms and gestures I have come to know.  And each, in their own way, knows how to show affection.  They fill my life in a way no people seem to be able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!