Thursday, January 23, 2014

Finding Clarity

How do I maintain periods of clarity?

It happened to me yesterday.  The moment of clarity which I had yesterday was wiped out by 4:00 PM.  I could feel it happen:  one event occurred, one text diverted my mind, and suddenly I was trapped right back where I was before I left on Friday.

This bothers me greatly.  I desperately need those times of clarity, those deep thoughts which allow me to actually gain some perspective on where I am in my life and what I need to do to move forward.  Instead they seem to get subsumed and then buried in the simple reality of my day to day life.

So how can I preserve this clarity in the face of a work, home and family life which is constantly in motion?

1)  Read - I have emphasized this in the past, but I need to set aside time to read - and not the five to ten minute slices I seem to allow myself but a minimum of 30 minutes a day.  And it needs to be uninterrupted time, not punctuated by conversations or emergencies.

2)  Focus - I tend to want to know everything that goes on.  It is the unfortunate outcome of being blindsided more than once - I want to know what is coming before it hits me.  But the realities are that I cannot know everything nor is everything relevant to me.  I need to focus on what is truly important and pay attention to that.

3)  Think - Again, this is something that I need to set time aside to do:  to think, to write, to ponder, to make conclusions and ask questions.  Without questions there is no clarity.

4) Concentrate on Higher Things - I allow myself to get bogged down in the minutiae of the day and what I am doing at the moment.  This means that the real work of life - thinking, making connections, improving - is always being overrun by the trivial.  I may have to do ordinary things, but I need to ensure my mind is not focused there.

One thing is certain:  without more of these moments of clarity I will continue to flounder.  For my own mental wellness and continual advancement, I need to make opportunities for myself to do the hard but necessary work of self improvement

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!