Tuesday, January 14, 2014

External Limitations

I have come to realize that not of my limitations come immediately from myself.  Some of my limitations come from the environment in which I work and live.

Example:  No matter how much I intend to develop myself at my current line of work (until it is not my current line of work) the fact remains that there are simply not enough of us to do all the work.  What does this mean? I can think of all the improvement projects and self development in the world but it will never escape the fact that when push comes to shove, work needs to get done - and in a small department, the likelihood is that more often than not, there will be "regular" work to do.

What is the implication of this?  Pretty simple:  either the place that I work (wherever that is) needs to invest in the resources to make the improvements possible or I need  to find such a place.  It is clear, but that does not make it simple, of course.

I am debating how much of this I need to bring to the attention of those with the power.  Because this becomes the second issue:  my willingness to speak to this truth.  As I have alluded to multiple times before, I am a somewhat reluctant spokesman for myself - I become more concerned that people like me and feel good about me than I actually speak up for myself, even if it is the truth.

But there is the second reality of course:  the reality I that I do nothing and I say nothing and 12 months from now I am here - again. 

"Lost time is never found again" said Benjamin Franklin.  I cannot - and will not - lose another year.

2 comments:

  1. It has been my experience that recommending anything about or at work never pays off period and usually just causes issues and eventually the job.

    It didn't used to be that way but for about the last 20 years seems to be the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting Pioneer. Lots of people tend to say they want input and suggestions but very few really do. At best things get adopted - but this takes exceptional people who do not have an ego in the game but are willing to listen to input, requiring a certain strength of character that often seems sadly missing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!