Thursday, December 26, 2013

A Certain Reluctance

A quiet day for getting ready for work.  No school so of course no-one else is up yet.  I myself did not set my alarm even though I knew I had to get up to work.  I am banking on traffic being not nearly as terrible as it usually is to get to work.  There is also, to be fair, a certain reluctance on my part to get out the door.  So I sit here in the early morning twilight with only the light of this year's Christmas Tree to keep me company.

There is a certain reluctance to leaving because I know the world is out there as well.  The world and the decisions that leaving the house will necessitate me making.  The thoughts that I will have address.  The feelings I will have to confront.

Perhaps it sounds overly dramatic.  I do not know that I intend it to.  At the same time I can say that there are times in one's life where one can sense potential changes and storms awaiting just beyond the horizon and one is possessed with the intense need to simply delay them.

Delay, any good achiever will tell you, is the killer.  It is the thing that will cause us to put off things that we should be dealing with. It is the the art of the procrastinator, the realm of those who consistently fail.  This habit of delay will create a life of delay.

And it is true.  The habit of delay will kill a life.

But arguably not every day is a day of action.  There are times and days where perhaps, just for a while, the idea of a certain reluctance has merit to it  Time like today where, in the midst of a quiet Christmas tree and colored lights,  the fate of a life can be pushed off for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!