Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Useful Filter

Bogha Frois is a genius.

She sent me this link yesterday:

  http://www.marieforleo.com/2011/07/great-opportunities-vs-time-wasters/

I have never heard of Mario Forleo before.  Apparently (judging by the pictures on her website) she has been on Oprah so she has some level of fame.

But her genius was revealed in the short clip above.

The point of the video is simply not that you have goals, but that you have a "filter" - a single question which you ask about everything you do.  Based on your goal, you simply ask "Will this help me to do my goal?"  If it does, you do it.  If not, you do not.

What a simple yet profound concept.

Energized by this thought I sat down and made a list of things that I wanted to do in the short term.  For each of these goals - financial, physical, career, intellectual, spiritual, personal - I wrote the simple question:

"Will this help me become a published author?"
"Will this help me master the shoden body of knowledge?"
"Will this help me become a stronger Christian?"
"Will this help me move towards a new career?"

And so on.

The beauty of this is that it is not complicated.  It is simple.  It is a single question.  It has two possible answers:  yes (it will move me forward) or no (it will not move me forward).  And based on this, one then simple acts in accordance with the answer.

Simple.
Elegant.
Easy.
Profound.

I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!