Friday, June 07, 2013

Reality and Attitude

Reality can be a debilitating thing.

My return to the world of labor has been less spectacular than I had hoped.  I suppose I thought that I would come back in re-energized, ready to see things through to their conclusion.  Have recharged my mind and batteries I would return ready and able to begin the process of productiveness where I had left it before I went away.

But reality can be a debilitating thing.

There is nothing less motivating than a return to a mailbox that is full and projects which - in your absence - failed to move forward at all.  And oh yes - the other small things that you also left on your plate as you left?  They, too, had nothing done on them as well.

Suddenly you begin to look at the effort that you put in prior to vacation:  was it truly worth it?  You put the effort in to free yourself from the chains of concern for a brief time, yet the chains had just gone slack rather than been cut. 

It drains your future efforts as well: where is the point of continuing to pour effort and time - really, pour in your life - to a thing which is less like a garden which is growing and more like a black hole which devours everything and leaves nothing in its wake.  Your incentive to truly do more is left behind as your working self - the zombie-like apparition that commutes and walks through the door - goes about its daily tasks.

Is this resolvable?  I am not quite sure.  I am certain a small part of this remains due to the inevitable post vacation blues.  The rest?  I am not sure.  My attitude is my own, to be sure - but the reality that I work in seems very much to not in my control.

Can attitude overcome reality as it exists?  Certainly - there are too many examples to say otherwise.  But these are always because the attitude of the individual is put towards something greater than the current reality, some great hope or dream that is sought?

Can the same be done when that which is not greater is present?  That remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!