Friday, January 11, 2013

2013 - Two Weeks In

So - two weeks in, how is the goal structure going?

Interesting question.  The results I am seeing are not quite what I was expecting.

It seems that I have three categories the goals have fallen into:

1)  Things which, having set them, I am being very diligent in accomplishing.  This encompasses 9 goals or about 33%.

2) Things which, having set them, I am not yet regular in working towards.  This encompasses 11 goals or about 39%

3)  The remaining goals which I have taken no action at all on yet.  This encompasses 6 goals or about 28%.

Obviously, category one is going as well as can be expected.  Category three, for the most part, have not been worked on because there is no action I can take in the first two weeks of the year to move towards them.

It is the soft center that is of interest to me, that 39% which I have taken some action on but not regular action on.  What is it that hinders me from doing better on those and how can I move such things forward more towards completion?

One factor that seems to be playing in is time and scheduling.  For those items that I am actively making progress in, I have scheduled the activities into my day such that I do them approximately the same time every day.  It seems that at least some of those items in the soft center - especially those that need daily activities - suffer from the fact that I have not yet found a permanent schedule that allows me to schedule them in at a regular time to help me as a prompt to act.

Another factor is that some of the activities don't necessarily have many small tasks to move towards completion - they have perhaps a few infrequent things that may ramp up from time to time but most of the time stay at a single level.    Keeping track of these - and keeping motivated about them on a daily basis instead of only realizing once a week or so I didn't take action - is going to be a challenge.

Still, let us take things for what they are worth.  Doing something on at lest 72% of what I wanted to act on this year is far more than I could have hoped for.  With a little bit of tweaking I think I can move more into the "Take action every day" category.  That alone is cause for celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!