Monday, April 23, 2012

Pondering: Career

I'm grappling with the fact that another birthday week is upon us - well, really me.  I've been in my industry entering 15 years and at my current title for 10.  I have seemingly hit a wall - professionally.
And personally as well. There's a subtle sense in all of my doings that I'm stuck within boxes, not moving forward in anything.  Last year feels like this year; next year, I fear will feel the same.

I took part of yesterday to begin the hard job of looking at where I was professionally and what my potential is, given what I am and where I am.  The initial answer, quite frankly, was bleak. 

Yes, I can get more certifications.  Yes, I can increase my industry and managerial experience with another year of work.  But I suspect that will no more lead me to a better than job than just finding a new job today.

I looked at additional education as well - maybe (given my seeming career slump) it is time to consider looking at something else.  The research there was not particularly more encouraging - 2 years and $20,000 for an MBA (I looked at one school; I suspect they're all pretty close); 2 years + for something in the electronic engineering field (I live in an area with many high tech firms, so there was a certain amount of sense in looking) and experience required.

So what do I do?  What does anyone do when they feel stuck?  Redouble my efforts? "pay it forward"? - I've come to have a distrust of this concept, as it never seems to work out quite as it is portrayed (the effort is always greatly appreciated by management; the reward always seems to be delayed or lacking).
Simply accept the fact that I am where I am and at this point, nothing is likely to change (so shut up and be happy)?

I don't think any of those is the answer - yet I have nothing better.  All I do know is that the thought of staying 20-30 more years at the level I am, doing what I am doing is a thought I shudder away from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!