Friday, January 27, 2012

Goals versus Tasks

Goals versus tasks.

This concept has recently risen its head up in my life. I'm not quite sure what to do about it.

I understand the importance of goals. They give us things to work towards, things of value to ourselves. At the same time, "goals" do not account for a great deal of the day to day tasks that I (at least) have to accomplish. If I only worried about "goals", I would find myself quickly not accomplishing anything that I had to get done in the day.

Or do we rank goals over goals? If one goal is to accomplish something, but another is keep day to operations working, which goal is more important? And how do you present that argument to others? They look at the 20%; you do the 80% that needs doing.

I haven't quite figure out how to resolve this in my own mind. Goals without attention to tasks creates dreamers that never finish anything. Tasks without goals create dull daily slaves who never lift their eyes up from the ground.

How do I reconcile the two?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!