Friday, May 20, 2011

Books

Conducting my morning readings this morning, I was reminded again of the fact that I will simply never a large scale user of electronic books. Ever.

I like books. I like the pleasure (I can think of no other term) of hardback books when I open them, the look and feel of the dustcover and I open the book. Or with paperbacks, the bend of the paper as you continue in, the fact that in books I have loved and read often one can find the sweat marks from my fingers and the wearing away of the covers.

I like the fact that when I find something, I can underline or highlight and just by flipping through the book later, I can relocate it - or given enough time and familiarity, the fact that I can have idea just by the book where a certain phrase or passage can be.

I love the fact that books -hard back or paper - can be slipped into a bag or into my hand as I go about the day, to be pulled out and read at leisure or need.

I love the fact that used book stores exist for used books.

I love the fact that my books are available to me on their shelves as I walk by. Seeing their covers, they become like old friends, reminding me of specific times when I read this book or that and where I read it.

I love the reminder of opening a book and finding something I used as a bookmark before: a receipt, a plane ticket, a random piece of paper. I love - perhaps even more - when I find a used book where the previous reader has done the same thing: Suddenly I am swept out to a dry cleaner in Wisconsin or a grocery store in Oregon, circa 1983.

I love the fact that books are a physical that impart intangibles.

I love books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!