Tuesday, October 05, 2010

On My Own Terms

Tuesday at the end of the world.

There is a certain sense, as I walk in my work building every morning, that change is coming. I've spent enough time at companies that have undergone it, and have felt the personal bounds swelling against the boundaries of my soul.

I met with a candidate yesterday for a position well under his current one. He assured me that he was interested, that the "downgrade" in responsibilities and skills was not one he worried about. A man with almost 20 years experience in my industry. I'm to interview another on Friday, a higher level who assures us of the same thing, with the years of experience.

When high level people begin accepting lower level positions and saying that "of course it's not a problem", one knows that something is changing - and change only tends to accelerate.

What cannot happen - what will not happen - is that I am in that same place ten years from now. When that time comes, I want to go out on my own terms, not be trapped into begging a position, assuring others that I am willing to be less for the sake of a job.

"Own your career or it will own you" says Sally Hogshead. Truer words were never spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!