Friday, April 16, 2010

Demanding Success of Others

"Therefore a skilled commander seeks victory from the situation and does not demand it of his subordinates." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

How often do I demand that others create my success rather than myself?

Check Spelling
I write this both as a manager and as one who is managed, who is responsible for and responsible to individuals. I hate the feeling myself, when I am expected to perform a task on behalf of a superior knowing that I am doing his or her work - but do I do the same thing to others? And is insuring they get credit enough?

But is that true of my personal life as well - do I want to involve others in my ideas (or, let's be fair, crazy schemes) not simply because I enjoy doing things with others (which is true) but because at worst I want to share the labor or at best I want someone else to do the work?

I would point to things that I do, to projects that I get involved in. Is it something that gets done by me, or is only when other people are "involved" that something happens?

Sun Tzu here seems to be pointing the fact that a great commander gains his victory from the situation, not placing the burden of the success on those reporting to him. This does not mean that the commander does not employ the individuals working for him or that there are expectations from them. What it does mean is that the commander understands the nature of the situation and his goal and uses those to create the victory. It's a subtle difference, I suppose much like the idea of lifting a rock by yourself versus using a lever to do it. You and the rock are the same participants in both situations; the lever changes the situation by moving your success to it rather than yourself.

It's a good thought and one to be cognizant of, especially if you manage others: are you making them responsible for your success, or the situation which you're in? One is tyranny, the other the mark of a great leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!