Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Purpose

An epiphany of sorts last night - in the sense of purpose of life.

I don't know why I hadn't seen it before. I've certainly danced around the issue before with other writings and postings, but it never hit me head on. What is my purpose in life?

1) To Glorify God.
2) To Advance The Kingdom of God

That's it. That's the purpose - or purposes, I suppose (they're sort of two sides of the same coin): to glorify God by my life, indeed by my existence, and to advance God's Kingdom.

How do I do this? Ah, there we fall back on some of the previous issues that have plagued me in the past, knowing what to do.

But maybe not now. After all, if glorifying God and advancing His Kingdom are my purposes, then what I do is a little less critical so long as I am doing those things. I have to believe that as I do that, other things that I am to do will become more apparent.

But some of them probably are. What are the opportunities that are in front of me now? What situations has He put in? What talents and gifts has He given me, what do I like to do? What audiences are granted me (that would be you, gentle reader)?

All of these are signs, hints, indeed tasks to be accomplished. What I am to be doing right now?

The things that are in front of me - right now.

1 comment:

  1. Just by your postings here you are glorifying God and gently moving your readers to do the same.
    By being a good husband and father you do the same (as I know that you bring the word of God into the heart of your family). If you do nothing more than continue to live your live as you have done you are succeding in both your puposes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!