Friday, February 26, 2010

Avoiding Responsibility

It is disconcerting to realize that individuals at the top of any chain: work, school, other groups - know your name and are expecting things of you. Especially if you're the kind of person that does not particularly embrace responsibility for projects.

I theoretically enjoy projects. I like defined expected outcomes, the improvements that projects often create, the planning (O, how I love planning! The diagrams, the time lines, the visions of things being better) - but then when it comes to the execution of projects, I immediately tend to slow down or figure out what work I can outsource rather than plunging in. Why is this?

I would love to use the excuse that it is because I am too busy, and that I have burned in the past by putting in a great deal of effort to not be rewarded in the end. I would really like to say that. It's true, of course - but no more true than any other person, and there are just as many examples of handsome rewards for the effort. And, of course, not all rewards are financial.

No, the sad reality is that I too often am lazy. I make great plans, I even talk a great game, but then once the function of rolling up one's sleeves and getting to work occurs, I find reasons not to engage. Then, suddenly, when push comes to shove, I suddenly "realize" a reason that the project has to be much less in scope than what it was, and then have to "argue" that reason up the chain.

What would happen if, for once, I executed precisely the vision I had laid out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!