Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Responsibilities, Options, and Time

Coming back to goals again - my goals particularly.

I'm finding (or maybe finally becoming aware) that I simply cannot balance the idea of being an involved husband and father and completing all the goals I things I want to do on a daily basis. Nope. Can't get here from there. One of three things happens:

1) I make a valiant attempt to do everything on Monday. It gets done, but I have to stay up later to meet everything. Tuesday I'm tired, but still try. By Wednesday, things are falling off the list. By Friday, nothing gets done because I'm tired and depressed that I can't stay focused.

2) I do everything, but spend my evenings essentially by myself accomplishing my goals and not interacting with my family.

3) I try to do very little and make sure that my mood is good (that would be the sleep thing), but end up feeling like I am not doing anything.

So either my expectations are too high, they're too low, or I simply am not doing what I should be doing.

Some facts that are known:

1) I require 7 hours of sleep a night. Less quickly degrades my ability to function quickly.

2) The time I get up for work, leave for work, and work are fairly set. My ability to change that is limited, and the time I have leading up to that is now effectively used.

3) Doing the time math, that leaves a finite amount of time after I get home to eat/do chores/interact with family/interact with pets/do "my" goals.

Knowing all that, how do I best evaluate my responsibilities and options?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!