Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Peer Into the Dark

Mulling my next steps.

I'm still continuing with the job search, of course. On the other hand, the reality is at this moment I've submitted 174 CVs very places, received 25 replies, only 3 interviews, and no offers. Even when I was using my outsourcing service and asked the question of suggestions, she simply said "It's a numbers game."

I hate numbers games.

Something on my own? An odd but interesting proposition. I've done this before of course, and failed spectacularly - but then again, not sure how much we actually treated it like a business. We were good at what we did, just not so good about tightly managing our money.

The thing of interest to me is that it actually has the power to get me excited, something which the job search is getting tougher and tougher to do. I had a spark of interest the last two days, looking at things, actually maybe dreaming, that kind of thing.

The other thing that is somewhat motivating is simply not being dependent directly on someone else. Yes, of course I know that in the end, someone has to buy whatever you're selling. But now, I am completely waiting for someone to control my employment destiny - and thus, my paycheck. And as recent events have shown, that can go away at moment's notice.

Nothing firm of course - but even planning has got to be more productive than some of the ways I'm spending my job search time right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!