Friday, February 20, 2009

Open Road

Today was one of those spring days that shouldn't really occur until March, when they can be truly enjoyed. Instead, one takes the day while thinking "We really need the rain" or "It'll be terrible tomorrow".

I worked in the yard today, edging (my least favorite of all yard work tasks, although the most visible rewarding), mowing, weeding, and starting to reassemble sprinkler tubing done in by Syrah the mighty. Ending the day, it made one feel as if one had truly accomplished something useful, if not worthwhile.

It was also one of those days which gives me the fleeting idea that I should own a motorcycle: Warm but not too warm, slight breeze, one of those days I think Otis would say "Hey! I should be out on my bike!".

Instead (possible to my eternal regret), I have never owned or even ridden a motorcycle. A moped once. Part of it is sheer finance, I suppose: given this economy and my job situation, the idea of purchasing another motor vehicle is a bit silly. The other part, probably encouraged by those around me more than myself, is that I will undoubtedly manage to wreck and injure myself, given my propensity for not being able to really do anything involving coordination with panache and skill.

I say regret because, looking at it, I think riding a motorcycle would be fun and exhilarating. Where I live, taking a motorcycle over to Napa or even along the coast -wow, I bet that would be something.

It's not a huge regret - I've got real regrets for things I did or never did - but it's one of those small nagging ones, the itch that is not harmful but can never really be scratched.

But in the back of mind, if my ship comes in, I'll be out there, riding away, singing at the top of lungs as I barrel down the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!