Tuesday, February 03, 2009

And Never is Heard a Discouraging Word

One thing I am finding on JobQuest 2009 (such a good title, I think I'll register the trademark!) is that oftentimes can make the most difference.

Example: Last night, if you see below, you will find that pretty much I threw up all over the computer keyboard. I could almost not feel more depressed than I did last night. This morning, I went to my e-mail and there sits a note from Songbird, saying that I was in her heart and prayers and that yes, sometimes it was hard to keep the long view in mind when the short view was less than desirable. That alone helped.

On top of that, I got a e-mail from An Dreahthann Ruadh out of the blue, saying how much she had enjoyed reading my blog, and lots of other really nice things. It was like my day had totally gone from night to day in the course of one hour.

Perhaps (and speaking only for myself) I have underestimated the power of the encouraging word in the lives of others. Words are funny things - they cost nothing, are constructed out of the same 26 letters, and of themselves have no physicality; but by words, we can move, elate, depress, encourage, discourage, create, and destroy the spirits of those with whom we talk.

And it strikes me as odd as well that so often (like say, when you leave your job) it is only when we leave a situation that we say the good things, the things we meant to say. Yes, I know I've written on this earlier, but it bears repeating because the power of it is so visible in my life.

Whether by e-mail, phone message (lest Otis become offended and forgotten), or even by a short verbal sentence, the encouraging word is not enough to make the problem better, but is a way to make it more bearable - because in the encouragement is the implicit understanding that yes, something bad is going on, and yes, I am thinking of you.

And that is an encouraging thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!