Friday, January 04, 2008

Focusing

So I think I've finally figured out what I want to do with my life. Which is kind of scary - because it represents making a decision, committing to a end, ignoring other decisions, even (gasp) publically discussing what your decision is.

It may even mean having some self confidence in myself.

What kind of brought me to this decision making process is the realization that I have been doing what I am doing, literally the very same thing at different companies, for 6.5 years. Simply put, I'm tired of it. And just switching companies will not change it. I need to switch careers.

At the risk of opening myself up to scads of criticism, I want to be an author. I want to be a successful author. I want to support myself from writing.

Can I write? Yes. Can I write a novel or non-fiction book? I need a lot more training on how to write (which is a subagenda in itself, dealing with pride and the willingness to learn and open myself up to criticism).

I cannot stomach the idea of spending the next 10-20 years doing what I do not care for or love (especially the document processing - I hate document processing!).

So the choice is made. Now to execute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!