Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Urban Survival

I hate Big Cities. I don’t like the numbers of people, I don’t like the traffic, I don’t like the built-uppedness of it all (yes, when words don’t work, make them up), and I don’t like the expense. It’s not my normal habitat, so I immediately feel on guard.

So, naturally, I got sent to a Big City for work.

Lessons I have learned:

1) Don’t plan to use credit cards in taxis. They grumble, won’t do it willingly, and may try to take advantage of you (processing fee, don’t you know).
2) Don’t eat in the hotel. Get there early enough to walk or drive around a bit, to see what else is available.
3) Take the pro-offered local food if recommended by locals. Today I had something I never had before, and it was quite yummy.
4) Always signal the bus. They don’t stop if you don’t.
5) Use the gym and pool if they have it. It makes you feel better.
6) Always miss your wife and family and tell them so.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:08 AM

    Friend,

    You forgot some other good reminders:

    1. Get outside. Beyond the sterile walls of your hotel room is a pretty interesting place. Interesting enough for real people to make their homes in. Find out why, whenever you have the chance.
    2. Bring Chrismas lights. Or flowers. Or pictures. Or a throw-rug. Something that will make it yours. Leaving that hotel room without a mark of you in it leads to the rock-star tantrums we all see in the news.
    3. Find out the history of the place you're staying, and contribute to it. Always worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!